How can we improve Checkvist?

Allow search / filter by #tag to use OR and NOT

Allow the use of an OR connector to filter by #tag1 OR #tag2. Perhaps also allow OR for a general text search.

136 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    J RJ R shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • ChristinaChristina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I could also really use the OR connector to search for things like "^current week OR ^overdue OR ^asap OR priority: 1", as a catch-all to see at glance all those things that need my attention in any given list. Ideally I could then filter this list even further with a tag. So for example, "(^current week OR ^overdue OR ^asap OR priority: 1) tag: office". Thanks for considering!

• Karim HaricheKarim Hariche commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add an option to decide whether searches take into account only the desired task, or also parts of the its path:
        when activated, one can find a task by searching for a word contained in the task itself, and in any of the parent tasks in the target task's hierarchy as well.

ex: find "winter campaign > email follow-up > call customers"

by typing ""winter call"

• AdamAdam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh yes, definitely! When using tags and filters based upon tags, I tend to need this rather quickly. Having nothing but AND is not very practical in my case.

• Bryan RoachBryan Roach commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature would be a powerful addition to Checkvist. Here are a couple of examples I would use.

#woodworking OR #home_improvement

^today OR ^tomorrow OR ^now OR ^asap OR ^overdue OR #now OR #soon

• Sebastian AhlmanSebastian Ahlman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I second this, I have been using Checkvist for only two days now, but I have already found myself missing this feature a few times. Otherwise, great app!

• alan.limebeeralan.limebeer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With this feature Checkvist becomes (for me) a completely flexible list/task/project organizing tool. With the ability to save view state via a hyperlink I can create unlimited views for my contexts. What an amazing tool you guys have created!

• Mad VenMad Ven commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a great enhancement. I currently use tags "now" and "upcoming" to plan things and cant view all tasks belonging to any one of these tags at the same time together.

If having an "or" keyword conflicts with how normal text search is done and requires a new mechanism, will using the "|" (pipe character) make it easier to implement this feature ?

• DaveDave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OR is a good idea - how about NOT while you're at it? for example, I might want to see a list of everything in my 'HOME' list except my #shopping list...

Feedback and Knowledge Base